Friday, August 3, 2007

Helicopter ride!


On a morning that was going to be yet another field day we were told that there was a helicopter with two seats available for a ride out to a small town south of barrow called Atqasuk (south). We (Santonu and I) jumped for the opportunity!

The 6 person helicopter ride.







Atqasuk from the air.

It is a research site for a number of schools, similar to barrow, however the tundra is far more ball-like (tussock), and has lots of... mosquitoes! LOTS! As soon as we stepped off the helicopter and stepped onto the ground, they rose from the tundra to feast.




Landing in the field just South of Atqasuk.

Tracks in the mud.

What appears to be methane bubbles in the mud! Global Warming...

Returning back to Barrow.

The BEO research site (North end) that I have been working at, the white is the boardwalk.

Caribou horns that I found in the field.

There is a interesting story that the locals told me about removing horns from the field... The first day that you remove horns from the field, fog will come into were you are and follow you during the night... It was true!!

We came back and had farewell dinner for a fellow researcher.

Earlier that week, I got to me someone that I have been listening on the radio and internet to for years!! I nearly fell over when I asked her name and shook her hand... Melissa Block from NPR! She was following a researcher here that is studying methane bubbles in the ice over lakes.

NPR's Melissa Block from All Things Considered!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great airel shots! You are in a truly beautiful place. I'm trying to finish all the work I've been doing this summer before fri b/c I'm going to Yellowstone next week. Sandy and I went to Carlsbad caverns and Sitting Bull Falls this weekend. The falls are a beuatiful oasis hidden away in a steep walled canyon.

Perry said...

Hey that is great! Sounds like your having a great summer... not climbing! Just kidding! I will see you soon.